Why Liberals will Fail

Let the debates begin.

Moderators: Astarin ShadowPrince, Zahrim, Rhen

Why Liberals will Fail

Postby Wenceslas » July 9th, 2008, 2:13 am

But critics of space explorations wonder why we’re investing so much in space travel, when we have so many problems “at home” that need addressing. But Chang-Diaz says that space travel isn’t just for fun—it’s a necessity.

“We're investing in our survival…we are a species with no redundancy. If something ever happens to our planet, it could be the end of our civilization. Investing a few dollars to ensure the survival of the human species--I don't think that's too much.”

But like many others in the private space sector—he’s lost his faith in relying on government programs to get us to that point.

“For NASA and the government programs, the motive is not really exploration. It's mainly national prestige. The process of going on missions is very slow. I just don't think that model is going to get us too far very fast. I think that the dynamic nature of the private sector is what's really going to kindle the fire. I think if you want to go to the moon, you might as well start thinking about packing your bags, because it's going to happen very soon.”

The above quote is merely one sample of many entrepreneurs that know that governments cannot be the place to turn to for innovation or just getting things done.
It's what conservatives (real ones) believe - the government cannot and will not produce anything. It's merely a sinkhole for money. Your money.

Liberals, on the other hand, think Big Government answers all questions. The Government will take care of you, provide health care...yadayadayada (barf). Basically - they believe the government also provides jobs...but we ALL know that is not the case. Private sectors provide MOST of the jobs and they generate quite a number when taxes are lower (witness the Bush tax cuts and the growth of the last 7 years).
Wenceslas
MCP's buff pimp

Postby Dasselrond » July 10th, 2008, 4:15 am

Now I know why you were so desperately wanting the EQ boards to come back up, Wence.

:wink:
Dasselrond
The Ranjuratrix

Postby Cuin » July 10th, 2008, 8:46 am

No kidding, I was wondering what was wrong with me. My blood pressure was down, humanity was beginning to seem redeemable and I hadn't been reminded of what a fucking idiot I was in weeks. Thank God that's over! :P
Cuin

Postby Wenceslas » July 10th, 2008, 12:19 pm

=-)

Yes.

Great Relief :D
Wenceslas
MCP's buff pimp

Postby Bigfatbino » July 10th, 2008, 10:48 pm

I think it's very Star-Treck-ish to think that humans will ever actually spread to worlds outsideour solar system.

I think the world will end long before we ever got to that point because of:

a) Nuclear war (Anyone see "the sum of all fears"? think that, cept islamo-fascists instead of neo-nazi's)

b) crazy disease (anyone see "I am legend"? cept without the bald WWE mutan X-men zombie dudes. Think how lucky WIll Smith was to develop the "cure" before the zombies found sunblock supplies)

c) Act of God to prevent humanity from fuckin up the rest of the universe (Armageddon, basicly just like the movie, except without Ben "buy me a hooker" Affleck saving the world...did anyone really buy that?)

d) that "strange matter quark throwin thing in switzerland which is gonna kill us all in like 3 months when they turn it on anyways. (thanks for informing me of that one, you crazy physics people, now I have to savor every beer because it may be the last beer drunk on planet earth and I want to hold the universal record of "last beer drank on earth before those idiot inhabitants killed themselves off" record.

Bigfatbino, Lord of the Wings
Bigfatbino
I talk too much

Postby Cuin » July 11th, 2008, 8:30 am

I think it's very Star-Treck-ish to think that humans will ever actually spread to worlds outsideour solar system.

Agreed. I marvel at the cosmos as much as the next guy, but unless some aspect of relativity is found to be catastropically fallacious I don't see us as a species venturing much beyond the outer planets. The distances involved are simply insurmountable by our present grasp of propulsion and relatively short lifespans. A journey to Proxima Centauri, our nearest star system, by means available today would take thousands of years. If my college astronomy professor is to be believed, then even at 99% the speed of light that same journey would take about ten years. Beyond that, there is no guarantee that we would find a "Class M" planet in that system, or that the star's output would prove particularly conducive to supporting our brand of life. So then it's on to the next star, rinse, repeat, thank you drive thru. Even devoting the whole of humanity's resources to the problem won't change that verdict.

At best, I should think the greatest benefit of space exploration would be to unlock new resources for use here on Earth, be it in the form or new fuels, rare earth minerals or simply the foreknowledge of impending doom by the odd rogue asteroid or solar flare. I don't think spending should be cut to zero, as to me knowledge for knowledge's sake is a worthwhile venture, but I'd much rather see the bulk of my tax money spent on rebuilding the slums of our cities and antiquating poverty.
Cuin

Re: Why Liberals will Fail

Postby Khaw » July 11th, 2008, 8:54 am

Wenceslas wrote:Basically - they believe the government also provides jobs...but we ALL know that is not the case. Private sectors provide MOST of the jobs and they generate quite a number when taxes are lower (witness the Bush tax cuts and the growth of the last 7 years).

This statement contradicts itself. If it is not the case, then private sector must provide ALL of the jobs.
Khaw
I talk too much

Postby Tykog » July 13th, 2008, 5:26 am

Bigfatbino wrote:I think it's very Star-Treck-ish

Star Trek, not Star-Treck

thank you

Geeks +1
Tykog
Site Admin

Postby Wenceslas » July 14th, 2008, 5:50 am

No, I have faith in the power of Bussard.
I also know that we're just peeking under the surface of quantum universe and that's gonna be very much non-relativistic.

Einstein pointed out the shape of normal space - the quantum universe is not a part of it.
Wenceslas
MCP's buff pimp

Postby Graal » July 15th, 2008, 3:15 am

Without some major theoretical breakthrough, manned flights to other solar systems is a pipedream, at least in numbers large enough to found colonies. Long before that, we will use the available resources to further colonize our own solar system.
si vis pacem, para bellum
Graal
I talk too much

Return to Rhen's Politics, Religion and World Events Forum.