Autism Speaks...

Posting Area for the general public

Moderators: Astarin ShadowPrince, Zahrim

Postby Moragasse1 » February 25th, 2007, 1:46 pm

OMG i could never do that to one of my children!!! my son is special needs though they still cant tell me whats all wrong wiht him... he's learning disabled delayed emotionally and has some physical problems including a left eye that he is slowly going blind in. I'm lucky though he's not violent ..... mouthy but not violent. Likes to lie A lot but thats probably just the teenager in him. Now when he was a baby he used to throw some really nasty fits in public ... if he got overwhelmed he lost it so i took to taking him outta the situation and putting him in the car strapped into his car seat .... i would sit on the trunk and let him calm himself down..

Someone actually called the cops saying i was abusing my son... cop got there checked on my child then shook my hand. He asked me if my son was autistic and i told him the truth that they didnt know what all was wrong but that autism had been throwen on the table more then once.(son was only 18 months at this point) I asked him why he shook my hand, he said for not hitting my child and for finding a kind way to teach him that that behaviour wasnt acceptable.

To this day he still throws the odd fit here and there but i just put him in his room and walk away and let him calm himself down .... now for me this works always has. I still dont know if he has mild autism or not doctors here just wanna drug him without knowing what all is up and i refuse to do the drugs so now they refuse to help. If one of them had suggested shock treatment i woulda killed them...... no way in hell would i do that to one of my kids no matter how bad it was!!

On the same note both my girls are hyper active and docs keep pushing for drugs and i still tell em " i wouldnt put my son on em what hte hell makes you think i'll do it to my girls?"
Pisses em off every time
Moragasse1

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » February 26th, 2007, 1:40 am

My daughters teacher suggested that I put my daughter on Ridiline. I laughed at her. She has her children on it, I even saw her kids at the mall. One of her daughters was just laying there about drooling on the mothers lap. No, drugs is not an option for my babies. Screw that. The people who I work with now already know not to ask if I want Sage on meds. They know or they have the understanding not to ask.
If some person came up to me spouting "Im a professional, and this shock treatment works, and you should try it." heh... Seriously, I'd hall off and slap them. I'd just find that beyond offensive.
Asides, its against my rules to allow anyone to hurt my babies.
No we're never gonna survive unless, we are a little.. crazy.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Proud Mommy...

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » March 6th, 2007, 9:40 pm

How can you say no to a smile like this?
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Pulgrey » March 7th, 2007, 8:39 pm

will you be my mommy?
Pulgrey
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » March 7th, 2007, 11:38 pm

*HUGS PUG!* You bet Pug ;)
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Dasselrond » March 7th, 2007, 11:47 pm

Erilyn Cureheart wrote:My daughters teacher suggested that I put my daughter on Ridiline.

Loon, I don't know what the law is in California, but here in Colorado it is against the law for teachers to recommend any type of medication for children. Teachers are not doctors and in no way should we dispense any form of medical advice.

You might want to check this out with your school board or school administration office.
Dasselrond
The Ranjuratrix

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » March 8th, 2007, 12:00 am

Hmmm... Good point Dass. You know I have nothing against teachers, just certain individuals that give me a reason.
I think the point is moot now. That was her 1st grade teacher, though I'd hate to think she is suggesting this treatment to other parents for their children. /shrug
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

You're not alone.

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » March 8th, 2007, 11:09 pm

Sometimes when I read something like this...
http://www.cafemom.com/group/76/boards/read.php?post_id=16011
It makes me feel better. Not because these people are having a hard time, but because these people have walked in my shoes. I don't have to feel like I'm alone. It makes me said, yet relieved.

I have a big family on my Mothers side. Many times we've had family get togethers that have left me feeling practically sick to my stomach. I've tried to explain to them what Sage is all about but they don't understand. They hear me just fine, but they don't really listen.
I've had family members tell me, your being to lienent. One even yelled at my Son when he started yelling after he got hurt. (He bit his lip and started to crying and yelling) They've given me every kind of facial expression I know of, from angry to pitty. There is no expressions of understanding though. No matter how hard I try to educate them.
One minute Sage is being a complete angel while his cousins are being little terrors, and no one cares, the next minute Sage will be having an episode and all eyes are on him and me. As if he and I are diseased. I'd of expected this much from strangers, but my family!?!? /sigh. It can be disheartening.

http://www.cafemom.com/
It's a plethora of information!
http://web.info.com/infocom.us2/search/web/What%20is%20Autism?CMP=2880&itkw=What%20is%20Autism
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby franken » March 11th, 2007, 5:50 am

im going out ON A LIMB here but check out chem trails and anything associated with them.. we are being sprayed on and tested on via the government... there is a law that regulates this .. that being said we are all test pigs =p
franken
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » March 12th, 2007, 1:06 am

I'd like to think that thats not a cause. I'd also not like to think about that... for fear I'd rage if I'd found out something like that was true.
I can't afford to think like that, my babies are counting on me to keep a calm mind. hehehe
Last edited by Erilyn Cureheart on April 9th, 2007, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Oprah Winfrey talks about Autism

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » April 8th, 2007, 12:30 am

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200704/20070405/slide_20070405_284_101.jhtml

It's been called a national health threat by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It's not childhood obesity or leukemia. In fact, this mysterious disease affects more children than pediatric cancer, diabetes and AIDS combined.
Autism is a neurological disorder that strikes as many as 1 in every 150 children and affects millions of families worldwide. Every day, 67 children in America are diagnosed with this disease. That's one new case every 20 minutes.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby franken » April 8th, 2007, 5:48 am

As this "thing" is more and more prevelent... I think doctors and scientists are looking in the wrong area for why it is caused.... This "thing" may have been apparent many years ago but not diognosed correctly and added to another type of missfortune as in being retarded or other...This thing is or has to do with something in either preserves we use or chemicals we use or other...In my opinion at least..It's finding that "other " that is slowing things down for a cure or a fix... I still love my nephew.. I just have to use more duct tape.... that was a total joke... hes just so all over the place..
franken
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » April 9th, 2007, 3:15 am

Two of my childhood friends I've known since... 4th grade have children with Autism.
This is just waaay to serious to be called a coincidence.
:( I so want it to be a coincidence.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby franken » April 9th, 2007, 5:45 am

lub ju erilyn
franken
I talk too much

Postby Direblade » April 12th, 2007, 10:04 pm

The Lex and Terry show will be doing a benefit ride for autism soon. As I'm at school atm I dont have all the details, but I believe it may be in Florida?
79 SK, Leader of the Vendetta
Dire + Ry makes 3 -- maybe more
Direblade
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » April 22nd, 2007, 3:14 am

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/nick_news/?_requestid=124402

Tune into "PRIVATE WORLDS: KIDS & AUTISM" Sun, 4/22 @ 8:30/7:30c!
Nickelodeon to Air News Program on Kids and Autism
This Sunday, April 22, at 8:30 p.m., Nickelodeon's Linda Ellerbee will present a NickNews program on Kids and Autism. The Nickelodeon website includes a short clip of the show, which features young people talking about autistic siblings as well as a chat with Dr. Ami Klin, an autism researcher at Yale University.

The program looks to be well worth recording - especially for teachers, parents and others who need to explain autism to children. It's great to hear kids talking about the issue from their own perspective, both as siblings and as individuals on the autism spectrum.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » June 21st, 2007, 4:42 am

Taken from this website...
http://www.mercola.com/2001/oct/31/mercury_lawsuit.htm

Lawsuit Filed for Mercury in Vaccines Causing Autism

An announcement was made today by the law firm of Waters & Kraus, the firm that filed the first known lawsuit alleging that a mercury preservative in children's vaccines caused neurological damage to an infant ultimately diagnosed with autism.

Waters & Kraus is leading a consortium of ten firms in as many states that are actively prosecuting cases of this nature (firms listed below).

Andy Waters, the lead attorney in the cases, announced that his firm is now in possession of a previously unreleased confidential report authored by Centers for Disease Control scientists which studied autism as a potential neurological injury caused by mercury in children's vaccines.

A different version of the report was made public and has been cited by the recent Institute of Medicine study as inconclusive on the issue of whether the mercury-based vaccine preservative known as thimerosal has contributed to cause a nationwide epidemic of regressive autism and other neurological disorders in small children.

The confidential version of the study, however, clearly demonstrated that an exposure to more than 62.5 micrograms of mercury within the first three months of life significantly increased a child's risk of developing autism. Specifically, the study found a 2.48 times increased risk of autism - that is to say, children with the exposure were more than twice as likely to develop autism as children not exposed.

In the United States, courts of law have generally held that a relative increased risk of 2.0 or higher is sufficient to substantiate that a given exposure causes disease. As but one example, in the case of Cook v. United States, 545 F.Supp. 306, at 308 (Northern District - California 1982) the Court stated that, "in a vaccine case, a relative risk greater than 2.0 establishes that there is a greater than 50% chance that the injury was caused by the vaccine."

Waters indicated that, in many of the cases his firm has evaluated, including the case filed in a Texas state court on behalf of the Counter family, the affected child received more than 62.5 micrograms of mercury through pediatric vaccines in the first three months of life.

The confidential report, which was obtained by the SAFEMINDS support and advocacy group, states:

"As for the exposure evaluated at 3 months of age, we found increasing risks of 'neurological developmental disorders' with increasing cumulative exposure to thimerosal ... within the group of 'developmental disorders'... for the sub-group called 'specific delays,' and within this subgroup for the specific disorder 'developmental speech disorder,' and for 'autism,' 'stuttering' and 'attention deficit disorder.'"

Waters called the report's contents and the fact that it was kept from the public as "shocking, but unfortunately not surprising, given the political influence of pharmaceutical companies and the tremendous liability they face if they are forced to compensate thousands of families for the costs of care that these children require."

Waters added that "no amount of money can give these children back the potential that they were born with, and no amount of money will comfort the parents that watched helplessly as their children literally just slipped away."

The purpose of the lawsuits his firm is currently prosecuting, said Waters, is "to bring to the surface the truth on this issue, a truth that government agencies seem unwilling to admit, perhaps for fear that parents will stop vaccinating their children, and to force the companies that profited from this disastrous mistake to shoulder the responsibility that so many families now bear on their own, often without even the aid of health insurance benefits."

-----------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

If you know someone who may have suffered a vaccine injury, please have them place a call to either Melissa Miles at (214)357-6244 for media inquiries, or Victoria Gibson at (800)226-9880 for client inquiries. They may also call the firms listed below for more information about class action lawsuits against the vaccine manufacturers.

It seems that one of the most effective strategies for ending this nightmare of autism caused by mercury and vaccines will be through legal actions. The drug companies need to be held responsible for selling products that may be causing damage.

The vaccine litigation wars are just beginning in the US. Numerous contaminated vaccine suits against manufacturers are already in progress in the UK.

If you are not yet aware of the connection between autism, mercury and vaccines, please read Dr. O'Shea's excellent review below.

By age two, American children have received 237 micrograms of mercury through vaccines alone, which far exceeds current EPA "safe" levels of .1 mcg/kg. per day. That's one-tenth of a microgram, not one microgram.

Not all vaccines have mercury. It is put in as a preservative in the multi-use vials. So if, for whatever reason, you chose to give you child an immunization, please ask the doctor for the SINGLE use vial.

I would suggest watching him or the nurse actually drawing it up out of the vial and then actually asking for the vial to confirm that it is the single dose vial.

It is this mercury, and other vaccine side effects, that have contributed to the enormous rise in autism that has been experienced, not only in the US, but all over the world.

Day of birth: hepatitis B-12 mcg mercury:

30 x safe level

At 4 months: DTaP and HiB on same day - 50 mcg mercury:

60 x safe level

At 6 months: Hep B, Polio - 62.5 mcg mercury:

78 x safe level

At 15 months the child receives another 50 mcg:

41 x safe level
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » July 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

I know for a fact that these kids like any other special needs child/person are very special. Sometimes even they show just how special!

http://gprime.net/video/autisticballer/

You see the reaction of the people around him, yes, these special people will affect your lives if only you let them. They can teach you the greatest of love and hope.
Thank you very much Dale for showing this to me.

OOO!!!! Shameless plug!
Last edited by Erilyn Cureheart on July 24th, 2007, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Jorelora » July 24th, 2007, 5:18 pm

That clip was so awesome Loon! and your little guy is a cutie as always :)
It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry. — Joe Moore
Jorelora
I talk too much

Postby Wenceslas » July 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm

I take results as tabulated by a doctor or group of doctors in conjunction with lawyers with a HUGE grain of salt.

What your numbers do not show is the interval between vaccinations - about 80% or better of the mercury is eliminated naturally.
Mercury does not sit in the body indefinitely, nor do I know what the body does with Thiomersal (the chemical containing mercury). It is being phased out of vaccines.

However...

Not to be disparaging, but such numbers have popped up before for cyclamates (now known to be in error - cyclamates are not carcinogenic), cholesterol numbers are always in flux, hell even coffee made the do not drink hit list and now has an equally must drink hit list...chocolate, vitamin C, and the list goes on....

These people cannot be trusted to understand what they are analyzing when they draw curves. Nor can I trust my self looking at their results to actually see the underlying data.
I would suggest suspending the blame game and try understanding what was included, what was excluded and why in their studies.

There are so many new medical advances that it would be difficult to use all of the variables introduced in the last 20 years that could result in higher autism or any other disease....though a lot of the rise is merely that we can keep such people alive longer or maybe just that we can identify them easier and prior to this rise - they were overlooked in other ways.

This doesn't mean that autistic children or any other types cannot be cured, fixed, helped et al - I want to point out that in pure research, there are too many variables that are overlooked and others then exploited for some sort of feel good lawyering.

Lawyers have never fixed anything, they're just another way to hit someone in the nose.

Austism seems to be a bit of work (variable depending on severity I understand) if you are the parent of such - I wish you good luck and godspeed.

It may be one of those malfunctions that may be cured with a bit of nanotechnological wizardry.
Wenceslas
MCP's buff pimp

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » July 24th, 2007, 9:57 pm

WOOoooO! Almost seems like you've been holding that in Wencey.

I take results as tabulated by a doctor or group of doctors in conjunction with lawyers with a HUGE grain of salt.

I agree with you there, but I do believe some Doctors know what they are talking about. Lawyers, ya well I don't think many of them give a rats ass.
What your numbers do not show is the interval between vaccinations - about 80% or better of the mercury is eliminated naturally.
Mercury does not sit in the body indefinitely, nor do I know what the body does with Thiomersal (the chemical containing mercury). It is being phased out of vaccines.

What it does I am told is affect the brain. I've read somewhere that there have been children with Autism who have had high levels of mercury in their blood.
However...

Not to be disparaging, but such numbers have popped up before for cyclamates (now known to be in error - cyclamates are not carcinogenic), cholesterol numbers are always in flux, hell even coffee made the do not drink hit list and now has an equally must drink hit list...chocolate, vitamin C, and the list goes on....

Not sure what sweeteners have to do with this... but umm... ok and Cyclamate was discovered in 1937. Still not sure where your going with the whole naughty list hehehe. *the internet is a beautiful thing.
These people cannot be trusted to understand what they are analyzing when they draw curves. Nor can I trust my self looking at their results to actually see the underlying data.
I would suggest suspending the blame game and try understanding what was included, what was excluded and why in their studies.

I'm sure they do their best with all the data that they come up with at least they are trying. I think the only reason why I back up the whole blame game thing is because if someone doesn't get in trouble there is no one else to "encourage" the research or stop whatever they are doing that might be harming people. Also the "blame game" gets people asking questions. I don't believe people are at fault I'm sure they had good intentions.

There are so many new medical advances that it would be difficult to use all of the variables introduced in the last 20 years that could result in higher autism or any other disease....though a lot of the rise is merely that we can keep such people alive longer or maybe just that we can identify them easier and prior to this rise - they were overlooked in other ways.

This doesn't mean that autistic children or any other types cannot be cured, fixed, helped et al - I want to point out that in pure research, there are too many variables that are overlooked and others then exploited for some sort of feel good lawyering.

Lawyers have never fixed anything, they're just another way to hit someone in the nose.

Meh, maybe so. But there is pro's and con's to everything. They are helping to get the ball rolling on more research.
Austism seems to be a bit of work (variable depending on severity I understand) if you are the parent of such - I wish you good luck and godspeed.

It may be one of those malfunctions that may be cured with a bit of nanotechnological wizardry.

Thank you Wence, and hehehe nano technology hmm ya sound's like it's a pretty far fetched idea and even still what is it to "cure"? I mean I love my Sagey boy, I've become used to who he is. For the whole backing up the research stuff, thats just me hoping that other babies and their parents have a choice, and an understanding. Also, the knowledge of what is going on with their children. Ya, the choice, not to give the vaccine if thats the case, not to live in the area where their could be something affecting their babies or having a choice to accept it and live with these loving children.
Call me crazy, wonder how I do it, whatever... I have chosen to accept my boy. There isn't a better choice. *grin*

yaaaa I'm silly like that ;)
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Gluten-Free Diet and Children with Autism

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » July 24th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Now this diet was recommended to me by an RN friend.
Sage though doesn't have any gastrointestinal problems but this might work for other children out there. Sage happens to like his milk and grains and if I dared take those away from him he'd be unhappy littlest Loon.

What is it?

A gluten-free diet is an eating plan in which gluten (grain protein) is eliminated from the diet. Foods and drinks containing wheat, barley, rye, oats or anything made from these grains are avoided. A gluten-free diet is often, if not always, used in combination with a casein-free diet, which calls for the elimination of milk protein (casein). Both diets are called elimination diets because a particular type of food is virtually eliminated from the child's meals and snacks (1).

Proponents of the gluten-free diet say that many children with autism have gastrointestinal difficulties that make it hard for them to digest certain grains properly. There are different possibilities for ways in which this could affect children with autism. The most studied theory is that eating gluten leads to high levels of protein by-products, called gluteomorphines, in some children with autism. These by-products may then affect behavior like a drug would. Specifically, in these children, gluteomorphines could reduce their desire for social interaction, block pain messages, and increase confusion. If gluten is taken out of the diet, the idea is that this will reduce the level of gluteomorphines, and behavior will improve as a result. (2-4).

What's it like?

Parents who choose a gluten-free diet for their child must become aware of the ingredients of everything in their grocery cart. Products containing wheat, barley, rye, or oats in any form should not be purchased. Maintaining a gluten-free diet can be hard at first because gluten is present in many prepared foods. However, parents can take a gluten-free cooking class or read a gluten-free cookbook (see Resources) to learn how to cook without gluten and still provide enough nutrition for the child (see Is it harmful?).

What is the theory behind it?

Gluten is broken down in the intestines into several by-products, including one called gluteomorphine. These by-products are much more common in the urine of children with autism than in children without autism. Some scientists have concluded that they are leaking from the intestines into the blood of these children (2, 5). Many research studies report that children with autism often have gastrointestinal problems, including intestinal leakage (5). The argument is that, if gluteomorphine is being absorbed into the general circulation in children with autism, then it could affect behavior (2-5).

In support of this theory, there is evidence that blocking at least some of the action of gluteomorphine improves the behavior of children with autism (6). Moreover, recent evidence of a genetic mutation common among children with autism has been traced to a gene involved in gastrointestinal function (7).

Does it work?

The effectiveness of elimination diets in improving the behavior of children with autism has only recently been scientifically researched. This research has almost always examined diets that are both casein- and gluten-free.

One well-controlled study focused on children with autism who had abnormally high protein by-products in their urine, and therefore were more likely to be sensitive to casein and gluten (see What is the theory behind it?). One group of these children was fed a strict casein- and gluten-free diet for 12 months. This group had significantly fewer autistic symptoms than the remaining children, who were not fed this diet (8). Another well-controlled study of casein- and gluten-free diets focused on children with autism regardless of the level of protein by-products in their urine (9). Overall, the study found no significant differences in behavior between children on the elimination diet and children on regular diets, although individual parents reported behavioral improvements (9). This overall lack of effect in the second study could be because the elimination diet only lasted 6 weeks, or because the children were not pre-selected according to the level of protein by-products in their urine.

Regardless, in both cases, the tested diets were casein- and gluten-free, so it is not clear whether it was the elimination of casein, gluten, or both that resulted in any improvements. A third study that did examine the effect of a gluten-free diet on the behavior of children with autism did not compare children on the elimination diet with children not on the diet (10). Therefore, even though there were improvements seen in the behavior of children on the diet, these may also have occurred over the 5 months of the study without the elimination diet.

Although the casein-free diet combined with a gluten-free diet is popular, there is little evidence to support or refute this intervention and reviewers have determined that meaningful conclusions cannot be drawn from the existing literature (3, 4).

Is it harmful?

The major health concern for a child on a gluten-free diet is whether the child receives adequate nutrition. A recent report showed that the protein and nutrient intakes of children with autism on casein- and gluten-free diets were not different from those of children with autism on standard diets, but there was a trend towards lower calcium and copper intake in children on elimination diets (11). As a result, some researchers suggest that all children on elimination diets should be under the care of a nutritionist or physician (1).

taken from http://autism.healingthresholds.com/the ... -free-diet
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Vitamin B6 (and magnesium) in the treatment of autism

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » July 24th, 2007, 10:08 pm

This form of treatment has been brought to my attention by another friend...
Apparently when the child take what would seem to be a pretty large dose of B6 they're behavior becomes better. Me being the whole BLAAAH I won't put my kid on any kinds of medication, well, I thought it's a good idea being that it's a vitamin and all.
No, I haven't tried it out.
Thought some of you might want to know.

Vitamin B6 (and magnesium) in the treatment of autism
Bernard Rimland, Ph.D.
Autism Research Institute
4182 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116

All 18 studies known to me in which vitamin B6 has been evaluated as a treatment for autistic children have provided positive results. This is a rather remarkable record, since the many drugs that have been evaluated as treatments for autism have produced very inconsistent results. If a drug shows positive results in about half of the evaluation studies, it is considered a success and the drug is then advocated for use with autistic patients. However, despite the remarkably consistent findings in the research on the use of vitamin B6 in the treatment of autism, and despite its being immeasurably safer than any of the drugs used for autistic children, there are at present very few practitioners who use it or advocate its use in the treatment of autism.

Research on the use of vitamin B6 with autistic children began in the 1960s. In 1966 two British neurologists, A. F. Heeley and G. E. Roberts, reported that 11 of 19 autistic children excreted abnormal metabolites in their urine when given a tryptophan load test. Giving these children a single 30 mg tablet of vitamin B6 normalized their urine; however, no behavioral studies were done. A German investigator, V. E. Bonisch, reported in 1968 that 12 of 16 autistic children had shown considerable behavioral improvement when given high dosage levels (100 mg to 600 mg per day) of vitamin B6. Three of Bonisch’s patients spoke for the first time after the vitamin B6 was administered in this open clinical trial.

After my book Infantile Autism was published in 1964, I began receiving hundreds of letters from parents of autistic children throughout the United States, including a number who had tried the then-new idea of “megavitamin therapy” on their autistic children. Most had begun experimenting with various vitamins on their autistic children as a result of reading books by popular nutrition writers. I initially was quite skeptical about the remarkable improvement being reported by some of these parents, but as the evidence accumulated, my interest was aroused. A questionnaire sent to the 1,000 parents then on my mailing list revealed that 57 had experimented with large doses of vitamins. Many of these had seen positive results in their children. As a result, I undertook a large-scale study, on over 200 autistic children, of megadose quantities of vitamin B6, niacinamide, pantothenic acid, and vitamin C, along with a multiple-vitamin tablet especially designed for the study. The children were living with their parents throughout the U.S. and Canada, and each was medically supervised by the family’s own physician. (Over 600 parents had volunteered for the study, but most could not overcome their physicians’ skepticism.)

At the end of the four-month trial it was clear that vitamin B6 was the most important of the four vitamins we had investigated, and that in some cases it brought about remarkable improvement. Between 30% and 40% of the children showed significant improvement when the vitamin B6 was given to them. A few of the children showed minor side effects (irritability, sound sensitivity and bed-wetting), but these quickly cleared up when additional magnesium was supplied, and the magnesium confirmed additional benefits.

Two years later two colleagues and I initiated a second experimental study of the use of megavitamin therapy on autistic children, this time concentrating on vitamin B6 and magnesium. My co-investigators were Professors Enoch Callaway of the University of California Medical Center at San Francisco and Pierre Dreyfus of the University of California Medical Center at Davis. The double-blind placebo-controlled crossover experiment utilized 16 autistic children, and again produced statistically significant results. For most children dosage levels of B6 ranged between 300 mg and 500 mg per day. Several hundred mg/day of magnesium and a multiple-B tablet were also given, to guard against B6-induced deficiencies of these other nutrients. (In all probability, the temporary numbness and tingling resulting from B6 megadoses, reported by Schaumburg et al., were the result of induced deficiencies of other nutrients caused by taking B6 alone in enormous amounts—a foolish thing to do.)

In both studies the children showed a remarkably wide range of benefits from the vitamin B6. There was better eye contact, less self-stimulatory behavior, more interest in the world around them, fewer tantrums, more speech, and in general the children became more normal, although they were not completely cured.

People vary enormously in their need for B6. The children who showed improvement under B6 improved because they needed extra B6. Autism is thus in many cases a vitamin B6 dependency syndrome.

After completing his participation in our study, Professor Callaway visited France, where he persuaded Professor Gilbert LeLord and his colleagues to undertake additional B6/magnesium research on autistic children. The French researchers, although skeptical that anything as innocuous as a vitamin could influence a disorder as profound as autism, became believers after their first, reluctantly undertaken, experiment on 44 hospitalized children. They have since published six studies evaluating the use of vitamin B6, with and without additional magnesium, on autistic children and adults. Their studies typically used as much as a gram a day of vitamin B6 and half a gram of magnesium.

LeLord and his colleagues measured not only the behavior of the autistic children, but also their excretion of homovanillic acid (HVA) and other metabolites in the urine. Additionally, they have done several studies in which the effects of the vitamin B6 and/or the magnesium on the brain electrical activity of the patients was analyzed. All of these studies have produced positive results.

LeLord et al. recently summarized their results on 91 patients: 14% improved markedly, 33% improved, 42% showed no improvement, and 11% worsened. They noted that “in all our studies, no side effects were observed….” Presumably, no physical side effects were seen.

Several recent studies by two groups of U.S. investigators, Thomas Gualtieri et al., at the University of North Carolina, and George Ellman et al., at Sonoma State Hospital in California, have also shown positive results on autistic patients.

While no patient has been cured with the vitamin B6 and magnesium treatment, there have been many instances where remarkable improvement has been achieved. In one such case an 18-year-old autistic patient was about to be evicted from the third mental hospital in his city. Even massive amounts of drugs had no effect on him, and he was considered too violent and assaultative to be kept in the hospital. The psychiatrist tried the B6/magnesium approach as a last resort. The young man calmed down very quickly. The psychiatrist reported at a meeting that she had recently visited the family and had found the young man to now be a pleasant and easy-going young autistic person who sang and played his guitar for her.

Another example: a frantic mother phoned me to ask for information on sheltered workshops in her city, since her 25-year-old autistic son was about to be expelled for unmanageable behavior. I knew of no alternate placements for the son, but I suggested that the mother try Super Nu-Thera, a supplement containing B6, magnesium and other nutrients. Within a few weeks she called again to tell me excitedly that her son was doing very well now and his piecework pay had risen dramatically from the minimum pay of $1.50 per week to $25 per week.

In view of the consistent findings showing the safety and efficacy of the nutrients B6 and magnesium in treating autistic individuals, and in view of the inevitability of short and/or long-term side effects of drug use, it certainly seems that this safe and rational approach should be tried before drugs are employed.

-----------------
This article appeared in the Autism Research Review International, Vol. 1 (4), 1987. The Autism Research Review International is a quarterly newsletter published by the Autism Research Institute (4182 Adams Avenue, San Diego, CA 92116, U.S.A.).

taken from http://www.autism.org/vitb6.html
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » August 29th, 2007, 7:22 pm

Molly
John Duigan's film is the story of Molly (Elizabeth Shue), a functioning autistic with a learning disorder who was institutionalized when her parents died. Fifteen years later Molly is forced to reenter society after the government tightens its monetary belt. She moves in with her big brother Buck (Aaron Eckhart), who tries desperately to juggle his advertising career with his new responsibility, but Molly's antics cost him his job, and the frustrated Buck is unsure how to handle his eccentric sister. When Molly lands herself in an advanced facility and reunites with Sam (Thomas Jane), a loyal and thoughtful employee at her previous institution, everyone seems happy. Things change drastically when she becomes the prime candidate for undergoing an experimental surgery that will make her a normal and functioning human being. At first the surgery doesn't appear to work, but eventually she opens up, creating a whole new series of issues and deeper understandings. Her struggle to comprehend the outside world brings her closer to her brother and to all those around her. Molly's infectious joy and vision of the world changes those who come into contact with the free-spirited young woman.

http://movies.clevver.com/video/1461/molly-trailer.php

By Rebecca Johnson "TheRebeccaReview.com" (Washington State) - See all my reviews

There are very few movies dealing with extremely painful issues. It seems these issues are at times hidden in doctor's offices and schools and unless you have a relative or friend with this disorder it might remain a mystery to you.

Since recent studies are suggesting that as many as 1 in 150 children age 10 or younger may be affected by autism or a related disorder, this film is relevant and brings awareness to the disorder.

Some say it is a result of giving babies their measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shot and doctors claim it is primarily a genetic disorder. Many parents say the shot caused their child to throw tantrums, lose language skills and tune out. The theory is that some autism stems from a severe immune reaction to the vaccine.

There are many treatments which can make a difference in the life of an autistic person. Speech therapy, occupational therapy, behavioral therapy, medication and special diets are of benefit.

I first found out about autism while working for a family in the Seattle, WA area and I was amazed at the sheer patience the parents exhibited. If you think your life is at all difficult, spend one day with an autistic child. It takes a great amount of patience, love and commitment.

Not only is life difficult for the caretakers, daily life is also difficult for autistic people. "Molly" shows both sides of the story.

Elisabeth Shue plays Molly and completely captures the extremely short attention spans, indifference to those around her, tantrums and screaming, obsessive interests, preoccupations with various objects, love for identical routines, acute hearing and love of saying "no" to every question.

Her 32-year-old brother Buck (Aaron Eckhart) suddenly becomes responsible for her when the home she is staying in closes. She turns his world upside down and when he loses his job, he finds other work he can do at home so they can survive.

When they discover a way Molly may be significantly helped, she undergoes a brain operation. There is a constant threat that the person who has emerged from Molly's body will again sink into the depths of autism. She starts to make everyone aware of what an autistic person goes through and can express herself in an intelligent manner. In fact people with autism can be extremely intelligent. They are really just locked inside a body which will not let them interact with others in a way society expects.

Molly has moments which are so delightfully funny because in any other situation besides a movie, they would probably be embarrassing to a person caring for the person. Molly has a child-like joy and one of the best moments in the movie is when she runs through a water fountain with pure joy and fascination. She can be rather mischievous at times. There are also some rather surreal moments you just have to accept for what they are.

She even considers marriage and reaches a level of independence which was impossible before the operation.

Throughout the movie, they promote an awareness that we are all valuable human beings no matter what our disorders and that love and patience is sorely needed in our society. Instead of accepting societies tendency to hide individuals with mental conditions, they encourage us to learn more about mental illness and to treat these individuals with the respect all human beings deserve.

This is a beautiful story of how a brother takes on the responsibility of looking after his sister and goes beyond the call of duty to make her life peaceful and comforting.

Get out the tissues! Throughout the movie, the beauty of the innocence of a child can at times be a bit overwhelming. Especially if you know someone who has this condition.

You will cry, laugh and cry some more. I found this to be a roller coaster of emotions and while the ending is not what you expect, it is a mingling of beauty and sadness.

~The Rebecca Review
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

Postby Erilyn Cureheart » August 29th, 2007, 8:12 pm

I have yet to see this movie, but the review is scary accurate. :shock:

Elisabeth Shue plays Molly and completely captures the extremely short attention spans, indifference to those around her, tantrums and screaming, obsessive interests, preoccupations with various objects, love for identical routines

All to true.

Molly has moments which are so delightfully funny because in any other situation besides a movie, they would probably be embarrassing to a person caring for the person. Molly has a child-like joy and one of the best moments in the movie is when she runs through a water fountain with pure joy and fascination. She can be rather mischievous at times. There are also some rather surreal moments you just have to accept for what they are.

LOL! That's happened before and sure to happen again.

Throughout the movie, they promote an awareness that we are all valuable human beings no matter what our disorders and that love and patience is sorely needed in our society. Instead of accepting societies tendency to hide individuals with mental conditions, they encourage us to learn more about mental illness and to treat these individuals with the respect all human beings deserve.

Ya umm pardon me while I go tearing up my local movie store to find this.
Erilyn Cureheart
I talk too much

PreviousNext

Return to Public Posting Area